Monday, October 12, 2009

Pessimism for what it is

I just completed the Monday morning edition of Good News News and it excites me once again to think about the Good News family. Every week I hear more stories of people extending their reach and expanding their influence for grace. More success stories. More enthusism.

The pessimist in me is waiting for the hammer to fall. I’m waiting for the excitement to end. As I type this, I even wonder if the pessimist in me isn't actually hoping for the hammer to fall putting an end to this foolish excitment. And more than that, I hear a nagging voice whispering, "It won't last and you're going to crash and burn. Don't put yourself out there. Don't risk it. You'll look foolish when you fail. You better play it safe."

Play it safe. That’s it! That’s the temptation. Hedge your bets so you won't look too foolish when you fail. It’s funny how we eventually get back to self-centered, self-protective pride. And now my pessimism is seen for what it is. It's the need to love and protect myself rather than give myself wholly to Jesus.

Pessimism is safety.

For Grace,

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment